Allo' Expat Reunion - Connecting Expats in Reunion
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Reunion Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Reunion
Reunion General Information
Reunion Expatriates Handbook
Reunion and Foreign Government
Reunion General Listings
Reunion Useful Tips
Housing in Reunion
Pets to bring into Reunion
Driving in Reunion
Business Etiquettes in Reunion
Customs & Etiquettes in Reunion
Reunion Education & Medical
Reunion Travel & Tourism Info
Reunion Lifestyle & Leisure
Reunion Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Bringing Pets to Réunion

Taking your pet overseas to certain countries is now possible without months of quarantine. The pets travel scheme, known as PETS for short, permits pets to travel with you subject to certain conditions. The PETS scheme applies to Réunion.

To travel under the PETS scheme, your pet (cat, dog or ferret) must:

• be fitted with a microchip (link to microchip guide);
• be vaccinated against rabies;
• have a negative blood test by an EU approved laboratory (to show your pet does not have rabies);
• have a pet passport (this is issued by your vet);
• be treated for ticks and tapeworms not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before the journey back to the UK; and
• travel via PETS approved sea, air and rail routes (link to PETS approved carriers guide).

The rabies vaccination must be administered only after your pet has been fitted with a microchip. If you do it the wrong way round, you'll need to get your pet vaccinated again.

Make sure your vet records these details on your pet's passport and on a vaccination record:

• your pet's date of birth/age;
• the microchip number, date of insertion and its location in your pet;
• the date of vaccination;
• the vaccine manufacturer, product name and batch number; and
• the date by which the booster vaccination must be given (i.e. the "Valid until" date).

Your pet must also have all its booster jabs and these must also be recorded on your pet's passport and vaccination card.

An official certificate of treatment for tapeworm/ticks is required from the country in which treatment is carried out. This must be signed, dated and include date and time of treatment.

EU legislation now allows rabbits, birds (except poultry), ornamental tropical fish, reptiles and rodents such as guinea pigs and mice to travel too, and you don't need a Pet Passport to transport them.

You can bring in these animals from any part of the EU, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican.





copyrights ©
2015 | Policy